Derik and I had a thing for taking tropical vacations while we were living and working in Korea. Although there were plenty of other places to visit that weren’t all sand, sun, and cocktails, we rather enjoyed resting on the beach and spending a crazy amount of time in the water. A few weeks ago one of my lovely readers requested I write a post about our favorite beach destinations in Asia, so thank her for this post idea!
Although there are countless other hidden tropical gems we never had the opportunity to visit, I’m so glad we were able to experience these six beautiful places!
1. Monkey Beach, Thailand: Not only is it quite the adventure to get to this little secluded beach, but once you get there the experience is just beginning. With monkeys running around everywhere, you’ll find yourself chuckling at their little antics, or running for your life as a whole herd chases after you laughing their evil monkey laugh. Be sure to walk further down the beach for a more secluded spot to rest and sunbathe. This beach is one of the most gorgeous we’ve ever been to with it’s emerald green waters, white sands, and picturesque landscape views.
2.Boracay, Philippines: Known as one of the most popular topical locations to visit in Asia, Boracay is a destination to put on your travel list. If you’re wanting to avoid the crowds, stay away from the area during European or Asian holiday vacations. A good time to go would be July or August! The soft white sand, crystal blue water, and night festivities will keep you entertained for days!
3. Kota Kinabalu, Borneo, Malaysia: A little off the beaten path, Borneo has a lot to offer. It’s home to one of the best coral reefs to dive, and also contains one of the oldest rainforests in the world. Our vacation to Borneo was short, but we did enjoy the beaches of Kota Kinabalu! You’ll have plenty to do in the city on the rainy days, but when it’s sunny you can enjoy snorkeling, diving, parasailing, and sunbathing on Gaya and Sapi island, a 10 minute boat ride from Kota Kinabalu’s harbor.
4. Phu Quoc, Vietnam: Our travel itinerary through Vietnam only allowed 3 days in Phu Quoc. We ended up extending that to five because we liked it so much! Amazing fishing, snorkeling, and scenic tours available at a cheap price. Don’t forget to check out the famous night market and pearl farms!
5. Kuta Beach, Bali, Indonesia: If you’re into surfing, chances are you’ve heard of Kuta Beach. Heck, if you want to get into surfing, Bali may be the place for you to go. When you’re not out in the water trying your luck at catching a wave, maybe taking a day tour to Ubud, getting drinks at the Hard Rocks, or chilling at an all -inclusive resort will suit your fancy.
6. Donsol, Philippines: The Philippines, in general, are known for showcasing breathtaking sunsets. While in Donsol, expect to see the most gorgeous sunset shows you’ve ever seen in your life. During the day get out on the water and try to find a whale shark to swim with, as Donsol is known as the whale shark capital of the world. If that doesn’t make an epic trip, I don’t know what will.
What are your favorite tropical destinations in Asia?